Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Love and Cancer


I have been blessed throughout this life, so I can’t complain, however I'm giving myself permission to be sad about my Cancer diagnosis as my family and friends see my health decline, and when I'm fearful about facing the chemo room some days. I also struggle with those reality moments Cancer forces you to endure even though I see how "reality moments"  allows me to have greater appreciation and  perspective for the beauty of life; Hope or a Silver Lining of sorts that God will always paint the darkness with.

My reality is,  I have been battling and living with Stage IV Ovarian Cancer, and receiving the treatment to match the diagnosis. The reality is our body's are susceptible to the hardships we've been told would come with treatment, and  it is difficult to grasp doing three more cycles when physically I feel this crummy. I have been told that the half way point is when you really start to “feel it”, and so I can say I have joined the masses on the “I am halfway there and I am thinking about revolting” train. I am only kidding, I would never just give up, but doesn’t life on this Earth make it easy to want to sometimes?

The reality is I have Cancer, and Benjamin and I have tackled and wrestled with this reality, but I will never forget the moment it really hit us. It came relatively late in this journey considering our first meeting with the Oncologist was 11/30, and that day we were clearly told “you can die from this”. Death is the unspoken awareness that comes with Cancer and due to experience Benjamin and I have a keen awareness about death and Cancer, however,  it was not truly real until Valentine ’s Day of this year.  I had completed my second cycle and had enough energy to  get take out with my sweetheart. As we were pulling out of the parking lot I heard a song on the radio and so I turned it up. It was Adele “Someone Like You”, the song is a break up song, but at that moment all I heard was “I heard that you are settled down, that you found a girl, and your married now, I heard that your dreams came true..” As I heard Adele sing those words my mind immediately thought, “if God doesn’t heal me, I want to be in Heaven and hear that my Benjamin found someone to help him and make him happy”. The song continued and the verse rang out “I wish nothing but the best for you, don’t forget me, I remembered you said sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead”. Quickly I was moved to tears, and realized I wasn’t going to be able to hide them from my sweetheart. As we were driving I realized we were by the cemetery where I had seen a man early that day seated next to his Valentine’s grave in a white lawn chair. I decided in that moment that it was easier to tell Ben about the image I had seen earlier than the real reason I began to cry. Hearing the story of a man sitting by his sweetie’s grave moved us both to tears and into an instant where God allowed us to talk about the reality of Cancer. With tear soaked eyes we made our way off the road and to a place we could look on at the sunset that God had shaped into a pink heart on this evening just for us. #Cherishyourlovedones 

6 comments:

  1. Tarah, our family - more than most families - know the realities of cancer. We have two very wonderful people who await us in heaven - and 3 very strong women who can say that cancer is in their past. I battle within myself the ideas of realism and defeatism. I am so proud of you. You're writing in the view of realism but there is nothing about you that is defeated. I am reminded every day of your spirit and your spunk - and I am so blessed that you are my cousin. I look up to you a lot, Tarah. I love you very much. - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried saying something funny at first, but thought that my first post on this blog ought to be different. I just want to say that I am very proud of you. I feel very blessed to have you as my daughter. Thank you for turning me into a daddy. It's is one of the highest privileges of my life.

    Daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Sterling that I breifly thought of reading this out loud to him and quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to get it out, out loud, due to the fact that my throat immediately felt the ugly cry come on! He'll be reading this one on his own! Love you girl! Keep up the good fight! Know that we, along w/ Oregon City Naz are all praying healing and lesser side effects for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for complete healing and comfort along this journey. -ghezal

    ReplyDelete
  5. When your Uncle Jim was diagnosed in stage IV colon cancer, one of the first things he said was, "Someone else is going to be called Grandpa by my grandkids." That was his way of grieving the what-if's of the disease. As time went on, though, he began to tell me different names of men he thought I should marry after he went to heaven. That was his way of saying, "I want you to move on but I want it to happen with those that I trust will be good to you." Now 4 years after his death, I have pondered that whole "moving on thing" quite a lot. If I could speak face to face with him, I would say "Moving on is much harder than you ever realized. When you have loved someone so much and have had such a deep relationship, it isn't found again in just any everyday relationship." Your blessing on Ben for the what if's is good. Your knowledge that God will walk beside both of you no matter what is good. Loving and holding each other close is what God intended when you said for better or for worse, in sickness and in health. I hope God heals you and you get to be the one who loves Ben for the rest of his days. I love you Tarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ur words brought me tears and are breath taking tarah. I get to read what u write everday out loud to my husband. God bless you and your hubby. This journey was never wished upon but for everything it is worth I love you tarah. Life is not fair but your faith in god is a fresh breath of air.

    ReplyDelete